Outsourcing Education
One of the few state monopolies remaining in France is education. In the US, education has been semi-privatized in the US, under the banner of "freedom of choice" as touted by the "No Child Left Behind" program. Should private "educational businesses" be allowed to compete with the Ministry of Education? If so, how should they be regulated? See the article on page 8 in the November 5th Education News about India becoming an online hub for tutoring.What impact would much touted open market competition have on the quality of state-run education? The US Department of Education claims that charter schools provide a healthy, less-regulatory alternative to the public school system with "perfomance accountability" : http://www.ed.gov/programs/charter/index.html
These schools may receive Federal grants and well as State financial assistance. Should education be subject to business-like efficiency? What are the problems with giving vouchers which parents can spend on any school they like: see the CNN video with comprehension questions: http://literacynet.org/cnnsf/voucher/home.html

1 Comments:
Hi!
First I'd like to know the english level of your article. (higher than B2, I hope...)
Anyway, I'm glad to see the direction taken by our blog: education is an interesting subject...
That manner to touted education is a brazen way. I mean, when they said "no child behind".
For me there is no doubt that private school have an interest but roles would not have to be reversed. First public school to have a standard. However, there is no choice between private and public school, we need both. That's the best way to improve global education.
Post a Comment
<< Home